Some random thoughts on a Tuesday morning:
- The Mogwai soundtrack to Zidane is, after a few listens, a damn cool thing. Kinda dark and brooding at times, but well worth a listen.
- British magazine The Word remains my favorite magazine of any kind in the world. They make it look easy to put together a magazine about pop culture.
- Still stumbling around Pitchfork. There’s some interesting stuff, some bad writing, and just enough to make it clear than I’m not their target audience.
- Although Marianne and I completely missed it on first release, we’ve been watching Coupling on DVD, and it’s just about the funniest thing in the world.
- I was saying on an email list yesterday that I find it really easy to not read something, or to avoid reading it. Now, Justine talks about things that stop her reading. I don’t have the same problems exactly, but bad readings, bad meetings, bad covers, or just boredom and ennui can stop me reading.
- Oh, and my favorite short story of the month (at least in terms of pub date) is Charlie Stross’s “Trunk and Disorderly” in Asimov’s. Wodehousian space opera, wot! What’s not to like?