Episode 35: Live with Gary K. Wolfe!

Amanda Palmer has been touring Down Under, her new album is out, and soon she’ll be playing here in sunny Perth. It also will be my 12th wedding anniversary this coming Monday, so we celebrate tonight.

Against a background of all of this happy news, Gary and I jumped into the pod to discuss slippage, why I hate the term ‘specfic’ and lots and lots of other stuff (including the happy news of our BSFA Award nomination and why Adam Roberts deserves chocolate, or at least a good stiff drink). We failed to keep it under an hour, but we tried. As always, we hope you enjoy it and that you’ll join us again next week!

Play

9 thoughts on “Episode 35: Live with Gary K. Wolfe!”

1. Thanks for the mention, guys. It is indeed cold here in Unmerrie Olde Englande. However, thanks to the magic of my iPad I am able to listen to you while still snuggled up warm in bed. So next time you mention me you should probably tell me to get up and go make some coffee.

In case your listeners are expecting things, here’s how Hugo eligibility works with regard to publication.

1. You are eligible for the year in which your work is first published, regardless of where it was published or what language it was in.

2. You are eligible again on first publication in English if the previous publication was not in English.

3. You are eligible again on first publication in the USA, if previous publications were not in the USA.

4. You can apply to the Business Meeting for an eligibility extension on the grounds of limited availability, for example if your book has a copyright date of December but didn’t actually ship until April, or your story appeared in a student magazine of a small college in Hawaii the year before you sold it to Asimov’s.

The third provision is slightly more complex in that WSFS is well aware that technology and relaxing of trade regulations will one day make place of publication irrelevant, because anyone in the USA will be able to download the ebook regardless of the geographic location of the publisher. Therefore the provision has to be re-enacted each year at the Business Meeting.

Normally this goes through on the nod, but there are a few American fans who are very happy to nod it through only as long as they think no foreign book will win. Come 2004, with the following Worldcon due to be in Glasgow, there was vociferous opposition to renewing the provision for 2005, and it was not renewed for that year. However, most Hugo voters have a fairly internationalist outlook, and the Best Novel ballot for 2005 was all books by UK writers.

Other awards have their own rules, of course. The BSFA Awards are somewhat weird in that, according to their website, nominees for Best Novel must have been published in the UK, but nominees for the other categories can have been published anywhere.

2. Hi there,

Didn’t seem to be anywhere else to put this comment. I’ve seen the cover of Eclipse 4. Looks nice. The authors on the cover are a real draw for me. Especially Peter Beagle. I think I have to get this one.
    Best of luck at awards time.

3. “I know the one on Amazon isn’t quite final, but almost.”

Glad you mentioned that, because I was curious as to why you hadn’t posted the cover image here, and given that I have yet to be disappointed by an Eclipse cover I have been feverishly waiting to see the latest. (And I like what I’ve seen of the Amazon one).

Another fun podcast, gentlemen. I even managed to keep listening after the dissing of one of my favorite classic science fiction short stories. Ha! No worries, I can give you that one after having taken a cue from you both in your recent podcast(s) mentioning Jo Walton’s new book, Among Others. I rushed out this week, bought it, raced through it (because I couldn’t put it down) and loved it! So thank you for that.

Finally, I couldn’t resist doing a search when you started talking about the ugliness of the World Fantasy Award and all I can say is OMG! What in creation IS that thing?!?! I consider the award quite prestigious, but I’m not sure I could have one of those in my home without feeling it would creep up on me in the night!

Have a great week, guys.

4. Slippage — a good word! I think that might describe what I experience when I read Kate Atkinson. Especially her collection of short stories, Not the End of the World, made me think that this is sort of science fiction, in some way that’s hard to define.