I’ll do a proper post about my likely novella nominees for the Hugo, but I was pondering what I’d put into my old Best Short Novels series if I was still editing it for the Science Fiction Book Club.
After a bit of reflection I came up with the following list. I wasn’t restricted to Hugo length requirements, so one story is actually a long novelette, but this list would still come close to 200,000 words which is about right for the old series.
So, herewith, the fantasy contents for Best Short Novels: 2013.
- â€œGatewayâ€, Nina Allen (Stardust)
- â€œWakulla Springsâ€, Andy Duncan & Ellen Klages (Tor.com)
- â€œBlack Helicoptersâ€, Caitlin R. Kiernan (Subterranean Press)
- â€œIseul’s Lexiconâ€, Yoon Ha Lee (Conservation of Shadows)
- â€œThe Princess and the Queenâ€, George R.R. Martin (Dangerous Women)
- â€œThe Sun and Iâ€, K J Parker (Subterranean, Summer 2013)
- â€œPrecious Mentalâ€, Robert Reed (Asimov’s, 6/13)
- â€œOneâ€, Nancy Kress (Tor.com, 7/17/13)