I edit The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year anthology series for Solaris Books. The tenth volume in the series will be published in May 2016, and the eleventh will appear in May 2017.
I am currently reading for the 2016 volume, and am looking for stories from all branches of science fiction and fantasy: space opera to cyberpunk, fairy tales to the slipstream, or anything else that might qualify. If in doubt, please send it.
This is a reprint anthology. Stories must have been published between 1 January and 31 December 2016 to be considered.
The submission deadline for this year’s book is:
1 November 2016
Anything sent after this deadline will reach me too late. If a magazine, anthology, or collection you are in or you edit is coming out before 31 December 2016 please send galleys or manuscripts so that I can consider the stories in time.
The eleventh volume of the series is tentatively scheduled for publication in May 2017.
Where possible, I prefer to receive book-length works in print, but this is optional. Books, stories etc can be sent to me via email. I prefer ePub, .mobi, .rtf or .doc files. PDFs are acceptable but not preferred. I strongly suggest that authors check with their publishers that they are sending review copies out to me, as I don’t have the resources to follow-up every publisher to get material.
When sending material please put “Best SF/F of the Year” on the envelope.
P.O. Box 544
Mt Lawley, WA 6929
Email submissions, recommendations, or information on publications can be sent to me via email at:
jonathan.strahan (at) gmail (dot) com
- I am eager to consider work you are publishing. If you produce a magazine, chapbook, collection or anthology with any original stories in it please let me know. I am happy to accept email submissions. The most important thing is to make sure that I get to consider the best science fiction and fantasy published during 2016.
- If you are publishing online please email copies of stories to jonathan.strahan (at) gmail (dot) com as early as possible. This is particularly important for stories published between October and December which may otherwise be overlooked.
- I do not need to receive manuscripts from authors of stories from venues that it’s likely I already receive regularly (I get Analog, Asimov’s, F&SF, Interzone, Black Static, Postscripts etc, but not many of the smaller ‘zines and publications).
- Please do not send an SASE. This is not a submission, and I’m unable to return manuscripts or respond directly to stories sent to me.
- If I am considering your story for inclusion in The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, I will be acquiring non-exclusive World anthology rights in English and foreign languages in print, audio and ebook.