I may post about my picks for Best Novella of 2016 as we work our way through the ‘year in review’ period, but for the moment I was pondering what I’d put into my old Best Short Novels series, if I was still editing it for someone today.
After a bit of reflection I came up with the following list. I wasn’t restricted to Hugo length requirements, so one story is actually a long novelette, but this list would still come close to 200,000 words which is about right for the old series.
So, herewith, the fantasy contents for Best Short Novels: 2016.
- The Dream Quest of Vellitt Boe, Kij Johnson (Tor)
- The Ballad of Black Tom, Victor LaValle (Tor)
- Every Heart A Doorway, Seanan McGuire (Tor)
- This Census-taker, China Mieville (Del Rey)
- The Charge and the Storm, An Owomoyela (Asimov’s)
- The Devil You Know, K.J. Parker (Tor)
- The Iron Tactician, Alastair Reynolds (Newcon)
- The Best Story I Can Manage, Robert Shearman (Five Storeys High)
- The Vanishing Kind, Lavie Tidhar (F&SF)
- A Taste of Honey, Kai Ashante Wilson (Tor)
It surprises me a little, in this era of digital publishing, that none of these are available to read online.