The announcement that nominations have opened for the Hugo Awards kicks off awards season in earnest. There is a lot of wonderful fiction out there and, having been fairly busy during 2017, I’ve been lucky enough to help what I think are some really excellent works of fiction that I think are worthy of your consideration.
It was a year when I edited two new anthologies, three novellas for Tor.com Publishing, half a dozen stories for Tor.com, appeared on and produced 26 episodes of The Coode Street Podcast episodes, and acted as reviews editor for Locus for the 15th consecutive year.
Fiction edited in 2017
- Infinity Wars (Solaris)
- The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume Eleven (Solaris)
As a guide, fiction in Infinity Wars is science fiction, and probably most relevant for the Hugo and Nebualas. The novellas range from hard science fiction to weird fantasy.
- Passing Strange, Ellen Klages, Tor.com, January 2017, tp/eb.
- Agents of Dreamland, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Tor.com, February 2017, tp/eb.
- Proof of Concept, Gwyneth Jones, Tor.com, April 2017, tp/eb.
- The Martian in the Wood, Stephen Baxter (Tor.com)
- The Moon is Not a Battlefield, Indrapramit Das (Infinity Wars)
- Uncanny Valley, Greg Egan (Tor.com)
- Extracurricular Activities, Yoon Ha Lee (Tor.com)
- The Future of Hunger in the Age of Programmable Matter, Sam J. Miller Jr. (Tor.com)
- The Last Broadcasts, An Owomoyela (Infinity Wars)
- Weather Girl, E.J. Swift (Infinity Wars)
- Zeros, Peter Watts (Infinity Wars)
- Faceless Soldiers, Patchwork Ship, Caroline M Yoachim (Infinity Wars)
- Mines, Eleanor Arnason (Infinity Wars)
- Perfect Gun, Elizabeth Bear (Infinity Wars)
- In Everlasting Wisdom, Aliette deBodard (Infinity Wars)
- Dear Sarah, Nancy Kress (Infinity Wars)
- Heavies, Rich Larson (Infinity Wars)
- Command and Control, David Levine (Infinity Wars)
- Conversations with an Armory, Garth Nix (Infinity Wars)
- Oracle, Dominica Phettaplace (Infinity Wars)
- Sanctuary, Allen Steele (Tor.com)
- The Old Dispensation, Lavie Tidhar (Tor.com)
- Overburden, Genevieve Valentine (Infinity Wars)
- Evening of the Span of Their Days, Carrie Vaughn (Infinity Wars)
Editor, Short-Form (Hugos)/Professional Achievement (WFA)
- Jonathan Strahan (Infinity Wars, The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume Eleven, Passing Strange, Proof of Concept, Agents of Dreamland, Tor.com stories, Locus [reviews editor]
I hope you’ll consider supporting the talented people that I’ve worked with during the year.