It’s a new year and the various awards will soon be open for nominations and so on. There is a lot of wonderful fiction out there and, having been fairly busy during 2018, I’ve been lucky enough to help what I think are some really excellent works of fiction that I think are worthy of your consideration.
It was a year when I edited two new anthologies, three novellas for Tor.com Publishing (and a bunch more in train), five stories for Tor.com, appeared on and produced 21 episodes of The Coode Street Podcast episodes, and acted as reviews editor for Locus for the 16th consecutive year.
Fiction edited in 2018
- Infinity’s End (Solaris)
- The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume Twelve (Solaris)
As a guide, fiction in Infinity’s End is science fiction, and probably most relevant for the Hugo and Nebualas. The novellas range from hard science fiction to weird fantasy.
- Time Was, Ian McDonald, Tor.com Publishing, April 2018
- Black Helicopters, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Tor.com Publishing, May 2018
- The Million, Karl Schroeder, Tor.com Publishing, August 2018
- “The Nearest”, Greg Egan (Tor.com, 19/7/18)
- “Nine Last Days on Planet Earth”, Daryl Gregory (Tor.com, 19/9/18)
- “Grace’s Family”, James Patrick Kelly (Tor.com, 16/5/18)
- “Nothing Ever Happens on Oberon”, Paul McAuley (Infinity’s End)
- “Death’s Door”, Alastair Reynolds (Infinity’s End)
- “Foxy and Tiggs”, Justina Robson (Infinity’s End
- “Intervention”, Kelly Robson (Infinity’s End)
- “Once on the Blue Moon”, Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Infinity’s End)
- “Cloudsong”, Nick Wolven (Infinity’s End)
- “Last Small Step”, Stephen Baxter (Infinity’s End)
- “Prophet of the Roads”, Naomi Kritzer (Infinity’s End)
- “Black Friday”, Alex Irvine (Tor.com, 13/5/18)
- “Swear Not by the Moon”, Seanan McGuire (Infinity’s End)
- “Longing for Earth”, Linda Nagata (Infinity’s End)
- “A Portrait of Salai”, Hannu Rajaniemi (Infinity’s End)
- “Talking to Ghosts at the Edge of the World”, Lavie Tidhar (Infinity’s End)
- “Yiwu”, Lavie Tidhar (Tor.com, 23/5/18)
- “Kindred”, Peter Watts (Infinity’s End)
- “The Synchronist”, Fran Wilde (Infinity’s End)
Editor, Short-Form (Hugos)/Professional Achievement (WFA)
- Jonathan Strahan (Infinity’s End, The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume Twelve, Black Helicopters, Time Was, The Million, Tor.com stories, Locus [reviews editor]
- The Coode Street Podcast [Episodes 320 – 340] [co-hosted with Gary K. Wolfe.]
I hope you’ll consider supporting the talented people that I’ve worked with during the year.