What a long, strange year it’s been. Lots and lots of work, for which I’m deeply grateful. And, with the new year not far away, it seems like the right time to update you on everything I’ve had out this year.
It was a year when I edited three new anthologies, a single-author collection, four novellas for Tor.com Publishing (with a handful more in train), six stories for Tor.com, appeared on and produced 23 episodes of The Coode Street Podcast episodes, acted as reviews editor for Locus for the 17th consecutive year, and I was lucky enough to be a tutor at Clarion West in July!
My sincere thanks to everyone at Tor.com, Solaris, Gollancz, and Locus, and to Gary Wolfe, my patient podcast co-host.
Fiction edited in 2019
- Mission: Critical, (Solaris Books)
- The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume 13,Â (Solaris)
- Tor.com Publishing Editorial Spotlight #5Â (Tor.com Publishing)
As a guide, fiction in Mission: Critical is science fiction, and probably most relevant for the Hugo and Nebulas. Â The novellas range from hard science fiction to weirdÂ fantasy.
- Permafrost, Alastair Reynolds (Tor.com)
- Perihelion Summer, Greg Egan (Tor.com)
- The Gurhka and the Lord of Tuesday, Saad Z. Hossein (Tor.com)
- The Menace from Farside, Ian McDonald (Tor.com)
- By the Warmth of Their Calculus, Tobias S. Buckell (Mission Critical)
- Rescue Party, Aliette de Bodard (Mission Critical)
- This is Not the Way Home, Greg EganÂ (Mission Critical)
- Zeitgeber, Greg Egan (Tor.com, 9/25/19)
- Genesong, Peter F. HamiltonÂ (Mission Critical)
- Something in the Air, Carolyn Ives GilmanÂ (Mission Critical)
- Dislocation Space, Garth Nix (Tor.com, 12/11/19)
- The One Who Was There, John BarnesÂ (Mission Critical)
- Hanging Gardens, Gregory FeeleyÂ (Mission Critical)
- Mutata Superesse, Jason Fischer and Sean WilliamsÂ (Mission Critical)
- The Empty Gun, Yoon Ha LeeÂ (Mission Critical)
- Lost in Splendour, John MeaneyÂ (Mission Critical)
- Devil in the Dust, Linda NagataÂ (Mission Critical)
- More Real than Him, Silvia Park (Tor.com, 8/5/19)
- The Agreement, Dominica PhettaplaceÂ (Mission Critical)
- Ice Breakers, Kristine Kathryn RuschÂ (Mission Critical)
- Blood is Another Word for Hunger, Rivers Solomon (Tor.com, 7/24/19)
- The Fires of Prometheus, Allen M. SteeleÂ (Mission Critical)
- In Xanadu, Lavie Tidhar (Tor.com, 11/6/19)
- Cyclopterus, Peter WattsÂ (Mission Critical)
- The Time Invariance of Snow, E. Lily Yu (Tor.com, 14/4/19)
Editor, Short-Form (Hugos)/Professional Achievement (WFA)
- Jonathan Strahan (Mission Critical, The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume Thirteen, Tor.com Publishing Editorial Spotlight #5, The Best of R.A. Lafferty,Â Permafrost, Perihelion Summer, The Gurhka and the Lord of Tuesday, The Menace from Farsi, Tor.com stories, Locus [reviews editor]
- The Coode Street PodcastÂ [Episodes 341 â€“ 361] [co-hosted with Gary K. Wolfe.]
I hope youâ€™ll consider supporting the talented people that Iâ€™ve worked with during the year.