Ten minutes with… is a special series presented by Coode Street that sees readers and booklovers from around the world talk about what they’re reading right now and what’s getting them through these difficult times.
Gary talks with writer, professor, critic, editor, and Shirley Jackson Awards board member F. Brett Cox about the Jackson Awards, the early days of punk, Andy Duncan, Elizabeth Hand, the mysterious Jack Parsons, Anthony Boucher, Daniel Defoe, the Strugatsky brothers, Octavia Butler, and Brett’s own short fiction (including new story “Bend in the Air” in Patricia Bray & S.C. Butler’s Portals).
Books mentioned include:
- The End of All Our Exploring and Other Stories by F. Brett Cox
- Cool Town: How Athens, Georgia, Launched Alternative Music and Changed American Culture by Grace Elizabeth Hale
- Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons by John Carter
- The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville
- Rocket to the Morgue by Anthony Boucher
- A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe
- Roadside Picnic by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky
- Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler