Following on from the award-winning success of The Book of Dragons, Harper Voyager will publish an exciting new anthology, The Book of Witches, edited by Jonathan Strahan in the Fall of 2023. Like The Book of Dragons, The Book of Witches will be a big, inclusive, illustrated anthology of fiction and poetry, this time looking at “witches” (more specifically your witch and what it means to you).
So far writers who have agreed to contribute to the book include Linda Addison, S.A. Chakraborty, Zen Cho, P. Djèlí Clark, Indrapramit Das, Amal El Mohtar, Andrea Hairston, Millie Ho, Nalo Hopkinson, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Cassandra Khaw, Fonda Lee, Darcie Little Badger, Ken Liu, Karen Lord, Usman T. Malik, Tochi Onyebuchi, C.L. Polk, Rebecca Roanhorse, Kelly Robson, Angela Slatter, Rivers Solomon, Andrea Stewart, Sheree Renée Thomas, and Tade Thompson, and we are reserving up to three spots in the final book for new BIPOC writers.
If you are a BIPOC* writer – regardless of whether you’re widely published or just starting out – and would like to see your work appear in a major anthology like The Book of Witches, we’d love to hear from you. Just check out the submissions guidelines below and send us your story.
* Black, Indigenous, and other People of Colour
Guidelines for open submissions
- Submissions must not have been previously published in any form, whether by digital-only publisher, traditional publisher, or self-published.
- Submissions must be in English and be between 1500 and 6000 wordsin length.
- Submissions must be in a standard word processor format (MS Word or similar). No PDFs.
- Submissions should be accompanied by a short author bio (no more than 200 wds). You are welcome but not required to share any identity information which you would like to share. This information will not be published without consultation with you.
- Agented submissions are welcome, but agents are not required. If you do have an agent you should indicate so with your submission and provide contact information for their representatives.
- Submissions will open on Monday, 14 March 2022and close at 5pm Australian Western Standard Time on Friday, 18 March 2022.
- Submissions should be sent to email@example.com
- You will be contacted ONLY if your submission is accepted for inclusion. All responses will be sent no later than Saturday, 30 April 2022.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable. Please do not send multiple submissions.
- Payment will be a minimum 8cpw and we will be looking for World rights to the story in English and foreign languages for print, ebook, and non-dramatic audio (ie standard audiobook), as part of the anthology only. This will be exclusive for a period to be negotiated.