I’ve just returned from Sydney, San Francisco, Montreal and Melbourne.Â There’s way too much to report to fit into one post (and I’m awful at recording events), but one of the highlights was accepting the Hugo Award on behalf of Ted Chiang, whose brilliant short story “Exhalation” from Eclipse Two, was honored by the members of the World Science Fiction Society in the Best Short Story category.Â I love the story and was delighted that it won.
The Hugo results were announced the day after I delivered Eclipse Three to Night Shade Books for an expected October 2009 publication (it should be out for World Fantasy).Â There might be some tiny changes but the table of contents for the book is:
- The Pelican Bar, Karen Joy Fowler
- A Practical Girl Lotion, Ellen Klages
- Donâ€™t Mention Madagascar, Pat Cadigan
- On the Road, Nnedi Okorafor
- Swell, Elizabeth Bear
- Useless Things, Maureen F. McHugh
- The Coral Heart, Jeffrey Ford
- It Takes Two, Nicola Griffith
- Sleight of Hand, Peter S. Beagle
- The Pretenderâ€™s Tourney, Daniel Abraham
- Yes We Have No Bananas, Paul Di Filippo
- Mesopotamian Fire, Jane Yolen & Adam Stemple
- The Visited Man, Molly Gloss
- GalÃ¡pagos, CaitlÃn R. Kiernan
- Dolce Domum, Ellen Kushner
I’m also delighted to be able to show you the cover for the book, which was done by the late Richard Powers (1). It’s a peach. It’s the one on right in the trio of images above.Â Oh, and yes, there will be an Eclipse Four! I’ve not had a chance to work anything much out about it yet, but it looks like it’ll definitely happen.Â More on it soon.
- I should note that, while the cover image is final, there are changes to be made to the cover text.Â The names on the front etc will change since this tentative design was completed.Â I’ll get the final up here when it’s done. Still, it looks v.cool!
- Edited 23/08/09.Â Author Ellen Klages has changed the title of her story from “Lotion” to “A Practical Girl”.