It’s a new year and the various awards will soon be open for nominations and so on.Â There is a lot of wonderful fiction out there and, having been fairly busy during 2018, I’ve been lucky enough to help what I think are some really excellent works of fiction that I think are worthy of your consideration.
It was a year when I edited two new anthologies, three novellas for Tor.com Publishing (and a bunch more in train), five stories for Tor.com, appeared on and produced 21 episodes of The Coode Street Podcast episodes, and acted as reviews editor for LocusÂ for the 16th consecutive year.
Fiction edited in 2018
- Infinity’s EndÂ (Solaris)
- The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume TwelveÂ (Solaris)
As a guide, fiction in Infinity’s EndÂ is science fiction, and probably most relevant for the Hugo and Nebualas. Â The novellas range from hard science fiction to weirdÂ fantasy.
- Time Was, Ian McDonald, Tor.com Publishing, April 2018
- Black Helicopters, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Tor.com Publishing, May 2018
- The Million, Karl Schroeder, Tor.com Publishing, August 2018
- “The Nearest”, Greg Egan (Tor.com, 19/7/18)
- “Nine Last Days on Planet Earth”, Daryl Gregory (Tor.com, 19/9/18)
- “Grace’s Family”, James Patrick Kelly (Tor.com, 16/5/18)
- â€œNothing Ever Happens on Oberonâ€, Paul McAuley (Infinity’s End)
- â€œDeath’s Doorâ€, Alastair ReynoldsÂ (Infinity’s End)
- â€œFoxy and Tiggsâ€, Justina RobsonÂ (Infinity’s End
- â€œInterventionâ€, Kelly Robson (Infinity’s End)
- â€œOnce on the Blue Moonâ€, Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Infinity’s End)
- â€œCloudsongâ€, Nick WolvenÂ (Infinity’s End)
- â€œLast Small Stepâ€, Stephen Baxter (Infinity’s End)
- â€œProphet of the Roadsâ€, Naomi Kritzer (Infinity’s End)
- “Black Friday”, Alex Irvine (Tor.com, 13/5/18)
- â€œSwear Not by the Moonâ€, Seanan McGuire (Infinity’s End)
- â€œLonging for Earthâ€, Linda Nagata (Infinity’s End)
- â€œA Portrait of Salaiâ€, Hannu Rajaniemi (Infinity’s End)
- â€œTalking to Ghosts at the Edge of the Worldâ€, Lavie Tidhar (Infinity’s End)
- “Yiwu”, Lavie Tidhar (Tor.com, 23/5/18)
- â€œKindredâ€, Peter Watts (Infinity’s End)
- â€œThe Synchronistâ€, Fran Wilde (Infinity’s End)
Editor, Short-Form (Hugos)/Professional Achievement (WFA)
- Jonathan Strahan (Infinity’s End, The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume Twelve, Black Helicopters, Time Was, The Million, Tor.com stories, Locus [reviews editor]
- The Coode Street PodcastÂ [Episodes 320 â€“ 340] [co-hosted with Gary K. Wolfe.]
I hope youâ€™ll consider supporting the talented people that Iâ€™ve worked with during the year.