Ten minutes with… is a special series presented by Coode Street that sees readers and booklovers from around the world talk about what they’re reading right now and what’s getting them through these difficult times.
Award-winning critic and biographer Julie Phillips talks about listening to audiobooks while biking in Amsterdam, enjoying Martha Wells’s Murderbot series, reviewing classic American books newly translated into Dutch, her own fondness for Willa Cather, and her current biographical work on women authors as mothers (including Doris Lessing) and her biography-in-progress of Ursula K. Le Guin.
Books mentioned include:
- James Tiptree, Jr: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon by Julie Phillips
- The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- The Underground Railway by Colson Whitehead