Ten minutes with… is a special series presented by Coode Street that sees readers and booklovers from around the world talk about what they’re reading right now and what’s getting them through these difficult times.
Today Gary is joined by multiple award-winning author Nicola GriffithÂ and they discuss the less-than-satisfactory challenges of the virtual cocktail party, the more satisfactory challenges of researching historical fiction and of reading Patrick Oâ€™Brian and others, the advantages of using genre as a set of tools rather than a container, her own So Lucky, her forthcoming sequel to Hild, and an exciting new as-yet-untitled book.
Books mentioned include:
- Nicola Griffith, So Lucky
- Nicola Griffith, Hild
- Nicola Griffith, The Aud Torvingen mysteries
- Sigrid Undset, Olav AudunssÃ¸n: The Vow, translated by Tiina Nunnally
- Maggie Brookes, The Prisonerâ€™s Wife
- Octavia Butler, Kindred
- Patrick Oâ€™Brian, The Aubrey/Maturin novels
- Mary Stewart, The Crystal Cave
- Rosemary Sutcliffe, Sword at Sunset
- Mary Renault, Fire from Heaven
- Susan Cooper, The Dark is Rising
- Sarah Waters, Fingersmith and Tipping the Velvet
- Ellen Galford, Moll Cutpurse: Her True History